Sunday, June 22, 2008

Adventures in India: Indian Food

A real surprise has been the exceptional food. I really don't have a clue what I am ordering when I walk into a restaurant, but I'm learning. Usually I just try something and hope for the best - I just eat whatever arrives. I haven't had a meal yet that wasn't good. Some are outstanding.

Most travelers get something called a Thali, which is like an Indian smorgasbord. You get 6-8 dishes of lots of different foods, with chapati (a pita-like bread) that you dip into everything. Also a little dessert that is like a doughnut ball. Most people really like it, although I have met a few that hate the food.

I think you'd really enjoy it. I had expected that the majority of meals would be bland beans and rice with the occasional splurge for a good meal (kind of like in Mexico), but it has not been so. I can usually find a dinner partner and eating is definitely a highlight.

No comments: